Although she is best known for her role as a 2,000 year-old genie in the movie, Barbara Eden, who celebrated August 23rd 2022 her 91st birthday, has had a varied and rich career. She’s still going strong!
Barbara Eden is still associated with the role she played in the 1960 sitcom I Dream Of Jeannie. But her career was much more diverse than that.
Barbara Eden wiki
Barbara Eden, born Barbara Jean Morehead on August 23, 1931, is an American actress and singer best known for her role as Jeannie on the sitcom I Dream of Jeannie (1965-1970).
Roslyn Pierce, Elvis Presley’s opposite in Flaming Star (1960), Lieutenant JG Cathy Connors (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea – 1961) and Stella Johnson, a widowed mother in Harper Valley PTA (1978) are other notable roles.
After the film’s success, Eden played the role of Stella Johnson again in a television series called Harper Valley TTA.
Barbara Eden Early years
Eden was born in Tucson, Arizona on August 23, 1931 to Alice Mary (nee Franklin), and Hubert Henry Morehead.
After her parents divorced, they moved to San Francisco. Her mother married Harrison Connor Huffman (a telephone lineman), and she had a daughter by him, Eden’s half sister.
The Great Depression had a profound impact on the family. Alice entertained her children by singing, since they couldn’t afford to buy many luxury items.
Barbara Eden Film and television roles
Eden began her television career as a semiregular on The Johnny Carson Show in 1955.
She also made featured appearances on shows such as The West Point Story, Highway Patrol, Private Secretary, I Love Lucy, The Millionaire, Title: The Corruptors!” She appeared in four episodes of Burke’s Law. Each episode featured different roles.
In partnership with 20th Century Fox studios, she was an uncredited additional in the movie The Tarnished Angels with Rock Hudson.
The syndicated comedy television series How to Marry A Millionaire featured her. Based on the 1953 movie of the same title, the series was created.
Personal life: Jeannie From the Bottle
Eden wrote a memoir called Jeannie Out the Bottle. It was published by Crown Archetype, a division at Random House, on April 5, 2011.
Jeannie Out Of the Bottle focuses on her personal life and Hollywood career for more than 50 years. It includes intimate details about her childhood and rise to fame in her teens, early 20s and her roles with Hollywood stars over the years.
It also includes her marriages to Michael Ansara (1958-1974), Charles Fegert (77-1982), Jon Eicholtz (91-present), as well as her emotional breakdown following Matthew Ansara’s 2001 death from a drug overdose.
Barbara Eden net worth
Barbara Eden is an American actress who has a net worth of $10 million dollars
Facts about Barbara Eden
1. Eden was born Barbara Jean Morehead, August 23, 1931 in Tucson, Arizona. She was raised in San Francisco.
2. Eden performed her first public performance when she sang with the church choir sing-along. Soon she was singing in local bands, and she was also studying at the Elizabeth Holloway School of Theatre and the San Francisco Conservatory of Music.
3. Eden, a 16-year-old member of Actor’s Equity, was named Miss San Francisco in 1951.
4. Eden was a semi-regular guest on Johnny Carson’s half hour variety show in 1955. Her career took off from there.
5. Eden is also a busy performer on stage, including The Sound of Music, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Love Letters (with Jeannie costar Larry Hagman) and The Odd Couple.
6. Eden is also an author. She published her memoir Jeannie out of the Bottle in 2011, and a book for children Barbara & the Djinn in 2021.
7. An album of pop recordings, Miss Barbara Eden was released by Eden in 1967.